Wednesday 31 December 2008

What happened next? A look back on my travels to Thailand and Israel

As 2008 draws to a close, I hope you’ll allow me the small indulgence of reflecting on two of my personal highlights - travel writing assignments to places that have subsequently experienced significant world events.

As I flew into Bangkok's new international airport, Suvarnabhumi and marvelled at its unique architectural design, I never imagined that five months later, it would form the backdrop for anti-government protests that resulted in more than 300,000 travellers becoming stranded.

I went to Thailand to write a series of articles promoting it as both a C&I destination and luxury tourist destination. The Thai people are the friendliest and most hospitable I’ve ever met. The idyllic landscapes, turquoise waters and distinctive cuisine all add to the appeal whilst, my experience of river bathing an elephant at the Baan Kwan Chang camp up in the hills at Klong Son is one I shall never forget.

However, the eight-day airport shutdown that followed, battered the country’s tourist-friendly image amidst a political storm that appears to be worsening with the Thai parliament now under a new blockade.

In September, I found myself in Jerusalem, for Luxury Travel magazine, attempting to make sense of a country, which throughout history has been torn apart by religious and cultural differences.

My guide went to great lengths to show me that, today, Israelis and Palestinians live and work side-by-side in harmony. But, the scars of gunfire in the city walls and the underlying religious tension across a city that has such significance to so many, is a constant reminder of how quickly the melting pot can boil over.

On 11 November, brawling priests and Israeli paramilitary police careered through the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. The fight erupted when a Greek Orthodox monk posted in Jesus’s tomb blocked the path of Armenian monks participating in a ceremony to mark the 4th-century discovery of the cross on which Jesus was crucified.

I had stood in that spot where the fists went flying and had remarked on the religious tension of a Roman Catholic church situated adjacent to a muslim mosque that was broadcasting prayer and drowning out the words of my Jewish guide.

At the time, the ceasefire between Israel and militants in Gaza had been in place since June. It lasted until November, when it began to break down with violations on both sides. Its recent collapse has resulted in the latest Israeli bombing campaign, which so far has killed in excess of 360 Palestinians.

Behind the scenes, Israel’s tourist industry is working hard to consign the country’s past to history and look to a future, which in 2009 includes Tel Aviv’s centenary celebrations. The hotels, guides and destination management companies face an uphill struggle. But it’s a fascinating country and whilst there, I acquired a wealth of knowledge that has broadened my world view. And for that, I’m grateful.

There have been many other memorable moments of 2008 as I’ve pursued freelance writing opportunities that have taken me in varied and diverse directions. I hope the blog posts along the way have been worth reading and I appreciate the support of everyone that’s followed me on this site throughout the year. I’m looking forward to the year ahead and I wish you all a prosperous and happy 2009.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow! you've had quit a year, Mike! Looking forward to reading more of your blog.